Friday, October 13, 2006

START WALKING

In my first blog I urge you to just start walking, but I could not imagine how hard it may be just to start. Many of my friends, whom I am trying to convince the advantages of walking at least to attend daily chores, when it is within walking distance, they simply had some points to make.

John: Why should I walk when science and technology has provided us with better options.
Mark: Though my office is within walkable distance, I need the car to do the errands.
Bony: I feel insecure to walk on sideways.
Jack: I feel tired after walking.
Ron: I circle around the parking lot to get a very proper parking space.

I am not asking you to walk long distances say cover five miles and above right away. You’ll get tired, exhausted. But start slowly with determinations. Doing errands everyday? Check for yourself, probably once in three days in most cases. You cannot park your car at the most ideal place. Park at the first empty lot, and walk a few steps more. Few days hence you would park your car at the furthest point to feel the joy of walking.

Mayo clinic has a webpage highlighting the health benefits of walking.
* Reduce your risk of heart attack.
* Manage your blood pressure.
* Reduce your risk of developing diabetes (or help you to manage an existing condition).
* Manage your weight.
* Manage stress and boost spirits.
I will give another very good reason for walking
* It does not pollute the environment.

I think we can start walking as exercise if we utilize the time in a fruitful way at least initially
1. Have a proper destination in mind, grocery shop, park, coffee-joint anything which is within walkable distance.
2. Carry a portable music player, listen to good music
3. Listen to a digitized book.
4. Enjoy the surroundings. You’ll surprise to see you did not notice many things about your neighborhood before.
5. Accompany a friend, your spouse and exchange ideas.
6. Think about yourself, your agonies and anxieties. You’ll be surprised they are all gone after the walk.
7. Plan your future projects while walking, you may get the solution or way/mean to achieve it during the walk itself.
8. Slowly feel the energy within you during your walk. It’ll surprise you. But don’t overdo it.

You’ll find more excuses to start walking as exercise if you just think about it.

Remember, don’t just think about it, start walking may be a quarter mile today – it will be comfortable three miles within days to get all the benefits of it.

No comments: