Wednesday, November 15, 2006

WALKING: PREPARATION

Probably walking as exercise needs least preparation. But still some preparation is required to make it most enjoyable.

First you need to make a mental note of your day’s walking route; otherwise your walking may be of far less steps than what you indented. Be clear about it and follow the route. Sometime an un-aimed walking is enjoyable but not always.

Do you have your wrist watch on to keep your time? Or your pedometer, your personal music player if you use them?

How is the weather outside? Are you armed to withstand the weather? If not, dress accordingly. I generally keep all my gears at one place beforehand, it saves me time.

Leave your walking route on your working table. Inform your partner, your family member or your neighbor, whom you are going to meet on your way out.

If you live alone lock your house, or inform your partner if he or she does not accompany you that you are going out. Greet your neighbor if you meet them, they can make out why you are out with sneakers on.

Don’t forget to loosen your muscle by doing some stress exercises before going out. You can do it on the road too. Walk a little slower for the initial five minutes or ten minutes or so and then pick up your speed to the desired level.

Greet other walkers, encourage them, motivate them and in that way you will motivate yourself too to reach your goal. Talk with your friends, co-walkers during your walking and enjoy others company.

Follow all the rules I discussed in my earlier blogs regarding traffic rules, personal safety guidelines etc.

After finishing my walk, I generally take a bath with lukewarm water. It makes me fresh. I also fill up my log of the day’s walking. I don’t follow my progress too much, but I keep a tab.

Go out and make your walking most enjoyable experience.

No comments: